Have you done any profiling to see where you're seeing the code spend
the most time?  I contributed a small python performance enhancement
patch many months ago, which was accepted and is now part of the
wire_format.py code (it wasn't much, I just unrolled a loop really).
I'm interested in helping out to speed up the python code.  Do you
know where in the code you would want to see more optimization?  Do
you find any specific primitive types to be worse than others?  What
are the sizes and number of fields of your protobuf messages?  Can you
share your .proto file and any sample code that sit in your critical
code path?

I'm definitely interested in helping out here.

Thanks!
-W