This is a use case that is, unfortunately, not well-optimized by the Java
implementation.  What's needed is versions of ArrayList which store unboxed
values.  Unfortunately, a separate such implementation would be needed for
every primitive field type, since Java generics work only with boxed types.
 It will be tedious, but you're welcome to work on it.