Hello everyone!

I am a beginner of protocol buffers on python environment and
installed recent version on two machines:
  - Ubuntu 10.04 (my local laptop)
  - CentOS (school's cluster)

As I have root account in my local laptop, I installed this package
into user folder with the following commands.

  1. /configure --prefix=/usr
  2. make install
  3. (in python folder of package) python setup.py install
(Also tried this command : python setup.py install --prefix=/usr and
make clean)

In contrast, I installed the same version into local folder on cluster
machine because I didn't have a permission.

  1. ./configure --prefix=(my home)/gpb
  2. make install
  3. (in python folder of package) python setup.py install
(Also tried this command : python setup.py install --prefix=(my home)/
gpb and make clean)

* I used (my home) as my absolute path getting from "pwd" command.

>From my local machine, there comes an error : 'module' object has no
attribute 'FileDescriptor'.
Also, in the cluster machine, an error : no module named
google.protobuf

When I was working on my local machine, I realized that even though I
used "--prefix=/usr" option, the final python library was installed
on /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/google NOT /usr/lib/
pymodules/python2.6/google. Since Ubuntu 10.02 had builtin protocol
buffer of version 2.2.0 and distance.py did not contain FileDescriptor
attribute, this error may be caused when the python automatically
loaded the module from /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/google NOT newly
installed 2.3.0)

So My questions are the following two things.

(1) How to change module folder to new one in python (in both my
laptop and cluster machine)
  (I already tried to add them in LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PYTHONPATH. But
no effect!)

(2) How to renew my previous 2.2.0 version to new one? (only in my
laptop)

Please give me an advice.