thanks kenton! that was my missing piece!
kind of long but it works:
protoc --cpp_out=out --simplePlugin_out=out --plugin=protoc-gen-
simplePlugin=./protoc-gen-simplePlugin simple.proto

now that this works i can start thinking about maybe inserting some of
my generated frameworkstuff into the files generated by protoc.
thanks for providing the plugin infrastructure...i like the approach
of using as much as possible of the code that is already in protocol
buffers instead of doing the parsing etc. all over again.

cheers,
oliver