Updates:

Comment #1 on issue 205 by temporal: Invalid strings are delivered to application

For performance reasons, we don't bother validating UTF-8 in opt mode (when NDEBUG is defined), leaving it up to the app. In debug mode, we print the warning you saw, but we don't want debug mode to behave significantly differently from opt mode so we don't do anything other than print the warning.