Comment #10 on issue 187 by esho...@fusionio.com: Command-line argument to override the "optimize_for" option

Admittedly, my suggestion above does not handle imports and that makes it mostly unusable whether done in or outside of protoc. The assumption on my part was that the line inserted would affect all imported files like a C header include directive which simply inserts the text from the included file at that spot.

The only thing that makes sense to me and that doesn't get too complicated is that we add a command-line optimization option override that applies to the specified file and all imported files.

   protoc foo.proto --optimize_for=LITE_RUNTIME

I would need to use this to create a lite and a non-lite library so that my applications can choose which to link in without duplicating .proto files.