On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 03:32, Prakash Rao <prakashrao1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to add security layer to protocol buffer if I'm writing
> my proto objects to https output stream? In java we have sealed
> objects and we can have signature attached to it to make sure objects
> are not tampered on the receiving end. Is there something similar in
> protocol buffer as well?
>
> I’m just trying understand what all different options that protocol
> buffer provides as far security is concerned when compared to web
> services to make sure data is not tampered. Web services comes with
> good security models (such XML signature, SAML) to make sure data is
> not tampered.

Protocol buffers do the encoding. They expliclitly don't add
additional features that belong to the conceptual level of the
transport channel. Do one thing and do it right.

You can have this as simple as adding a HMAC to your message or use
channels that already provide that (like an SSL channel with the
appropriate options turned on). It would be just a confusing mess if
each encoding scheme for data would add yet another implementation of
what is already there (From your quote, apparently XML/SAML adds to
that mess, but it doesn't mean that it is smart to do).

It is sad that many designers of protocols mix up these layers.

-h