Comment #11 on issue 210 by ken...@google.com: Java code should detect incompatible runtime library version

Right. My point is that the so version isn't expected to relate to anything else, whereas I suspect that the version on the jar file / in the POM generally is expected to match the publicized version number. Is that true or not? If not, then twiddling that seems like a fine solution. I just don't know enough about Maven best practices to know how it is likely to be interpreted.