Updates:

Comment #1 on issue 211 by ken...@google.com: common.cc calls "abort" on FATAL messages

FATAL errors only happen in places that would otherwise crash. We do not use exceptions in C++ code at Google. Our reasons are described here:
http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/cppguide.xml#Exceptions

That said, I suppose it would not be that hard to throw an exception in the FATAL logging code in the open source version of the code. Clients who use exceptions will be able to catch it; those who don't will just get the existing behavior.

Note that all our production servers at Google use this code.