Actually, I'm going to have to address this pretty soon for my company as
well. The biggest problem is compatibility between the different OSes. We
don't have to worry about Windows, but we will have to support OSX, Linux,
and probably Solaris for building .proto files. With static linking it's
definitely possible to reduce the number of dependencies for the binary as
shown on OSX below. I don't know how far we can go with static linking - I
wasn't able to statically link libz which is a bit surprising. I think the
correct solution will be to package 3 different binaries into our build
system, switch on the OS, and invoke the proper protoc. I wish Google had
written protoc in something like Python or Java rather than C++ to
circumvent this problem, but I really can't complain about free, high
quality software.

otool -L `which protoc`
/usr/local/bin/protoc:
/usr/local/lib/libprotobuf.4.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current
version 5.0.0)
/usr/local/lib/libprotoc.4.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current
version 5.0.0)
/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.3)
/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version
7.4.0)
/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
1.0.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
111.1.4)

otool -L src/protoc
src/protoc:
/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.3)
/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version
7.4.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
111.1.5)