Yes, I tried to use the reflection API, but this doesn't seem right to me
because I have to mantain 3 classes for the same entity. When I add a new
attribute I'll have to update 3 files! I know I really cannot use JPA with
the java code generated by protoc, but using the reflection API the best
way?  I was used to a java-only world where I could automatically transform
my objects into xml messages having only one class representing one entity
for all project.

About my try on the reflection API, I did not succed and I posted one
question about it, could you please help me? I understood that I had to use
the protobuf reflection together with java reflection:
http://groups.google.com/group/protobuf/browse_thread/thread/add9295e2151481e

Thank you for your reply.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com> wrote:

> I'm not all that familiar with JPA, but my guess is that applying JPA to a
> protocol buffer type is going to be much less efficient than using
> protobuf's native encoding.  So you probably want to be serializing your
> protobufs with .toByteArray() and then persisting that.
>
> Failing that, you might want to look at the protobuf reflection API (not to
> be confused with java reflection) to see if it might be part of a solution:
>
> http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/docs/reference/java/com/google/protobuf/Message.html
>

> <http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/docs/reference/java/com/google/protobuf/Message.html>E.g.
> maybe you could call message.getAllFields() and then feed the data into JPA
> somehow.
>
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM, roberto_sc <roberto.cal...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a basic question about how to organize my project.
>> I have a client  running C# code, a server running Java code and I
>> intend to use protocol buffers to exchange data.
>> I thought I could use the .proto file to describe the classes of my
>> datamodel and generate .java and .cs and then use these generated src
>> as my datamodel. But protoc generate code for message exchange and
>> cannot be edited, for example, I cannot generate java code for my
>> Person class and add the annotations to persist using JPA.
>>
>> So, the question is, do I have to mantain 3 files - .java, .cs
>> and .proto - that represent the same thing?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --

virtus in medium est
.