The chromium project build libprotobuf using VS2008 without needing any code
changes, so you're likely experiencing an issue with the solution or project
files.  With chromium, we generate our own projects instead of using those
that come with the protobuf library.

If you were to follow
http://dev.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/build-instructions-windows, the
'gclient' script should auto-generate a valid VS2008 project file for you.
 I'm not sure if that would meet your needs or not, or if it would be easier
to simply debug the linker errors you see head-on.

 - nick