I installed the java libraries using `mvn install` in protobuf-2.3.0/
java, but still get the same errors when trying to do `make java` in
protobuf-2.3.0/examples.  I've never used Maven before - is there
something I need to set up so javac knows where to look to find the
jarfile maven created (~/.m2/repository/com/google/protobuf/protobuf-
java/2.3.0/protobuf-java-2.3.0.jar)?

I've tried

 % export CLASSPATH=~/.m2/repository
 % make java

and

 % export CLASSPATH=~/.m2/repository/com/google/protobuf/protobuf-java/
2.3.0/
 % make java

But both seem to give the same error.

What should I be doing?