This exception shouldn't be possible.

If you can produce a small, self-contained program that demonstrates the
problem, I could debug it.  Please make sure that the program is small (no
more than one .proto file and one source file) and runs quickly.  Probably
the easiest thing to do is record a sample message that produces this error
and write a little program that tries to parse those exact bytes.