Explicit compression isn't built into protobuf, since it is very dense to
start with. In some cases it may be successful to run your data through GZIP
or DEFLATE - in particular if your data has a lot of repeated data in
strings, etc. In other scenarios I've seen GZIP / DEFLATE make protobuf data
*bigger*. So:

a: you would have to do it manually
b: whether it will help depends on your data

Marc

On 19 October 2010 05:50, nit <nithin.shubhan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI All,
>  Can anyone let me know whether the encoded file can be compressed
> while sending it and decompressed at the receiver's end?
>   The problem is like i have a message structure which has many field
> and consumes more bytes. So can i compress and Decompress them?
>
> thanks,
> Nithin Shubhananda

Regards,

Marc