Owner: ken...@google.com
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 229 by a...@amazon.com: TextFormat should have option to silently ignore unknown fields

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Add an unknown field to a TextFormat file.
2. Try merging the file with your Message.
3. Get an exception indicating unknown field.

This is expected, but I believe protobufs should offer an option of silently ignoring these errors.

Trunk

Right now protobufs are a great way to keep services running with an evolving data schema. You can update the schema with optional fields and existing code continues to work... unless you use TextFormat. TextFormat throws a wrench in the plan of data evolution. When you try to merge a String of TextFormat data into a Message and the String has fields that don't exist in the Message, then TextFormat throws an exception. I think TextFormat should be modified to optionally not throw an exception in this case since it is normal when evolving data.