Instead of maintaining two identical files, I suggest writing a build rule
that just constructs the "lite" version from the regular version.  You could
use a make rule like:

my_lite.proto: my.proto
  cp my.proto my_lite.proto
  echo "option optimize_for = LITE_RUNTIME;" >> my_lite.proto

This way the files cannot get out-of-sync.

See also comment 11 in this thread:
http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/issues/detail?id=187#c11

There I provide a protoc plugin which converts inputs to lite mode.  It's a
more complicated approach but less hacky.