On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 8:55 AM, locky <true.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The producers of the message are actually C# and not C++ as I first
> mentioned (I only deal with the Java implementation).  The scenario
> however, is the same.

It is possible that the C# implementation (which is not written by Google)
accidentally interpreted default values differently.  You should ask the
author.

> @Kenton, I thought default values were never sent over the wire.
> According to the 'Updating A Message Type' section of the language
> guide ..."Changing a default value is generally OK, as long as you
> remember that default values are never sent over the wire...."
>
> Are you saying this is not the case?

What the documentation means is that the value you write in the .proto file
is never used directly when serializing a message.  However, if you
explicitly set a field to a value that happens to be equal to the default
value, it *is* sent.  In this case we don't think of the value as being the
default value.

Seems like the wording of that text needs to be improved to avoid ambiguity.