On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 1:28 PM, George <george.georg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your advice.
>
> I’m implementing a component model that has a different type-system
> than protocol buffer. For the connectors that are IPC or inter
> technology I would like to base the serialization on protocol buffers.
> There is always an option based on the IDL definition I to generate
> specific protocol buffer messages that represent the exact argument
> list per method, but this looks over kill for me.

That's the way protocol buffers are intended to be used.  I.e. you would
have unique input and output types for every method.  Trying to have a
"generic" type defeats a lot of the purpose of protocol buffers -- you lose
the type safety, some of the efficiency, the forward- and
backwards-compatibility, etc.