Updates:

Comment #4 on issue 238 by ken...@google.com: Support of comment in Python text-format parser

Well if it makes you feel better, I looked at the code and incorrectly concluded that your bug report was correct because I couldn't find where comments were removed, nor could I find any tests for it. However, looking again, I see:
  _WHITESPACE = re.compile('(\\s|(#.*$))+', re.MULTILINE)

It's bad that there's no test case covering this, but yeah, it does appear that there is no bug.