As yet, there is no single common RPC standard for use with protobuf.
Protobuf-net hacks itself into WCF by swapping out some WCF guts, but while
that will work with WCF-to-WCF it won't make sense to flex. That is why I
suggested just sending a byte-array, since this is easily represented by most
platforms (either as base-64 or MTOM). Of course you then need to deal with the
byte-array at each end, but that is not usually a problem.

Marc