Updates:

Comment #4 on issue 243 by ken...@google.com: Improve mergeDelimitedFrom in the java Impl to setSizeLimit on the CodedInputStream

Woops, for some reason I thought you were talking about C++. Not sure why, since you made it very clear you meant Java. Ignore my previous message. ("temporal" is my gmail account.)

Anyway, now I'm confused about the problem. If you use mergeDelemitedFrom() on an InputStream, it should read only the bytes of the message, no more. Why do you need a CodedInputStream at all?