Comment #7 on issue 243 by john.carrino: Improve mergeDelimitedFrom in the java Impl to setSizeLimit on the CodedInputStream

Yeah, this is due to message A having a lot of repeated element B. We could pull B out of A and into the top level stream, but now we have to write an understood protocol that on this stream we will write an A, then output an int of how many b's to follow, then print all the B's.

This is better in terms of memory footprint because you can process the B's iteratively or in batch, but now we have to define our own protocol on the stream.

Is this a common thing to do, to build protocols on streams containing proto messages?