Updates:

Comment #2 on issue 245 by ken...@google.com: "index" package conflicts with index argument name

The Java package naming convention says that the first component of a package name should be a TLD. "index" is not a TLD.

AFAIK, there is no way we can completely avoid the possibility of conflicts here. The only thing we could possibly do is add obfuscation to all private names in generated code to make conflicts less likely. I don't think this is a big enough problem to warrant the tedious work involved, especially given that the package naming convention should prevent conflicts already, therefore I am marking this "won't fix".

That said, if you really, truly need your top-level package to be named "index", feel free to send me a patch against the Java code generator to rename this one variable.