Comment #5 on issue 248 by poftwaresatent: protobuf will not compile without thread library

For what it's worth, I'm running into this on OS X 10.6.5 with up-to-date macports and protobuf svn rev 358. The configure script does give me a warning:

checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no
checking whether pthreads work without any flags... yes
checking for joinable pthread attribute... PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE
checking if more special flags are required for pthreads... -D_THREAD_SAFE
checking whether to check for GCC pthread/shared inconsistencies... yes
checking whether -pthread is sufficient with -shared... no
checking whether -lpthread fixes that... no
checking whether -lc_r fixes that... no
configure: WARNING: Impossible to determine how to use pthreads with shared libraries

Strange enough, Darwin does come with /usr/lib/libpthread.dylib and /usr/include/pthread.h. I'll keep digging, but it's not high on my priority list. Maybe just need to tweak the configure.ac a bit?