On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Tim Turner <tim.tur...@garmin.com> wrote:

> This is C++.
>
> I had not tried optimizing for CODE_SIZE.  I understood that CODE_SIZE
> was the precursor to and not as compact as LITE_RUNTIME.

This is not correct.  As Jason says, the generated code for CODE_SIZE is
smaller, but depends on a larger runtime library.  LITE_RUNTIME lets you use
a smaller runtime library, but the generated code is large (not quite as
large as the default SPEED mode, though).

> Yes, I believe they are tag numbers, the enumeration-style numbering
> of each possible response or request.

I still don't get what you mean here.  How are things being "renumbered"?
 The numbers are specified in the .proto file.  They don't change unless you
edited them.