On Jan 25, 2011, at 15:27 , Hitesh Jethwani wrote:
As may be evident from above I am naive at Java and Protobuf. Any help on this is appreciated.

The Java protocol buffer API encodes strings as UTF-8. Since C++ has no unicode support, what you get on the other end is the raw UTF-8 encoded data. You'll need to use some Unicode API to process it in whatever way your application requires. I suggest ICU:

http://site.icu-project.org/

Hope this helps,

Evan

--