There are actually 2 issues here. One is a known issue
http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/issues/detail?id=203 (when the lite
version is built *after* the full version without cleaning in between)
The other is 2.4.0 release problem, fixed in svn now. Will have another
micro release to fix it. You can update the pom.xml with this one:
http://protobuf.googlecode.com/svn-history/r373/trunk/java/pom.xml

Thanks.