Both, really. And of course by the time you are embedding **type** metadata
into the file you have ceased to be portable (or contract-based). This is
potentially something that could be added as a non-portable feature of a
single implementation, but *in most cases* there are ways to do it
**inside** the portable spec, and I'd rather push people towards using
portable options unless there is no feasible alternative.

Marc

--
Regards,

Marc