On 9 Feb 2011, at 03:12, Diwaker Gupta wrote:

> I'm trying to write a protoc plugin and struggling with a fairly basic task:
> determining the name of the file to generate the output in.  In the
> 'Generate' method, is there an easy way to determine the output file name
> from the FileDescriptor object? In particular, for Java output, the protoc
> compiler already has the logic to figure out the output file name given the
> various options for package, outer class name, camel casing etc etc. It seems
> redundant to replicate that logic in the plugin. Unless I misread the docs,
> the current FileDescriptor API doesn't provide this information.
>
> If there are some fleshed out examples the community would like to share, I'd
> really appreciate that.
>
> Diwaker

Well seeing as the filenames can change depending on the language and multiple
files could possibly be generated I believe this is up to you to figure out. I
wrote a plugin a while back for generating C code and I write output to
original_file.proto.c and original_file.proto.h. FileDescriptor could not
possibly give me that information.