Comment #6 on issue 257 by jas...@google.com: Java Protocol buffer payload more than that of regular payload when using repeated tag

Sorry, I'm going to have to ask you to provide the program if you want to look into these larger messages. There are likely going to be some applications where the protobuf encoding is larger than other encoding formats, but we don't have the resources to construct such examples. There may be something about your data that makes the protobuf encoding less efficient; if you can provide some examples perhaps we can offer some solutions.

I'm not sure of the thread that you mentioned, but due to the varint encoding tag numbers above 15 require an extra byte. Perhaps that's what you had read? If you have a large number of string fields, I would think this byte is pretty negligible relative to the actual payload.