Comment #3 on issue 263 by mika.rae...@gmail.com: Proto parser for Java

I think discouraging dynamic libs mainly reflect's the way google thinks about building and deployment, I don't think there's anything that makes protobufs particularly ill-suited for dynamic libraries (you need to deal with paths and versions).

Native code obviously is useful mostly when you are deploying for a small number of platforms. And doesn't help on AppEngine or other pure-Java environments. But just providing the SWIG wrapper might cover quite a few use cases with minimal pain.