It depends entirely what you want to represent :)

A big pb is useful if you need to avoid network latency and can't pipeline the
data. But it isn't trivial to pick arbitrary sub-objects out of a big pb - you
essentially need to process all the leading data.

Of course, with the right prefixes, a sequence of small messages on the same
stream is identical to a single pb with a repeated member.

Marc