It won't be a decode error as long as the enum field is not required. If an
application without the new values receive a message containing one of the
new enum values, it will treat the value as an unknown field. In the C++ and
Java implementations (Python doesn't propagate unknown fields), the value
will be stored in the UnknownFieldSet so that it will be included if the
message is reserialized. However, the field will not be set, and accessing
the field will give you the default value.