No, there's no version backward-compatibility like this. protobuf library
only works with the matching protoc generated files.
There's a feature
request<http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/issues/detail?id=210&q=status%3DAccepted&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20FixedIn%20Owner%20Summary>asking
for reporting errors when the protoc & runtime library versions don't
match.