Hi!

> Protocol buffers are objects to serialize things, but it doesn't
> really make sense to use Java serialization to serialize their holder
> objects.
I'd like to pass Java objects from a unserialized protocol buffer
between
Beans inside a application server. This makes sense to me.

> If you would try to Java serialize the protocol buffer objects, you
> would loose all the functionality you were probably considering using
> Protocol buffers in the first place: version independent, fast and
> platform independent serialization. The object layout might change
> between each protocol buffer library version or you might just change
> the proto definition - all of which will create trouble if you use
> Java serialization; the protocol buffer binary format, however, is
> stable (and compact, and fast, and platform independent ...)
I think you got it wrong: I'm not going to store a protocol-buffer in
java-serialized from, I just need to pass it as an argument between
beans.

> So in this case it was actually good that the
> UnmodifiableLazyStringList was not Java serializable - it helped you
> find an improper use.
The deserialized protocol buffers are already implementing teh
Serializable
interface. Only if you have a repeated String field, it breaks. So I
consider
it as a bug.

> I am not sure what the maintainers think, but I wouldn't add Java
> 'Serializable' to all classes used within the generated objects -
> because then these accidental wrong uses would just go unnoticed.
Sometimes it's just nessesary. And 98% of the buffers are already
Serializable. So somebody has need it before me.

yours

juergen