> Then my question is this: why to use int32 type even though uint32
> uses less bytes covering the same range?

The main reason would be if you ever plan on reading the message from
non-Java code.  What you've stated is only true in Java because it has
no unsigned integral types, so protobufs have to use signed types even
when a message declares a field as unsigned.  In any language that has
unsigned integral types, you would write -1 and the other side would
read 4294967295.

- Adam