Comment #34 on issue 66 by remoun.metyas: cannot install using easy_install

I adapted protobuf-2.4.1 to a format that pip and easy_install can parse. Since I can't upload it to PyPI, I put it in a GitHub repository: http://github.com/rem/python-protobuf

Install it like so:
pip install "git+http://github.com/rem/python-protobuf.git@v2.4.1#egg=protobuf";
(or add that URL to your requirements.txt)

I basically edited setup.py to not remove generated *_pb2.py, and generated those files with: protoc --python_out=. -I ../protobuf-2.4.1/src/ ../protobuf-2.4.1/src/google/protobuf/descriptor.proto
... and similarly for google/protobuf/compiler/plugin.proto