I'm testing an on-disk hashtable with Protobufs and noticed that with
the java generated hashcode function, it seems to return a different
hashcode across JVM invocations for the same logically equivalent
object (tested with a single string protobuf, same string for both
instances).

Is this known behavior?  Bit busy right now backporting this to work
with String keys instead but I could provide a bit of command line
code that demonstrates the issue when I get a chance.

Glancing at the generated hashcode() function, it looks like the
difference comes from etiher getDescriptorForType().hashCode() or
getUnknownFields().hashCode(), both of which are incorporated.