Thanks to sheer stubbornness I solved that problem. Turns out the
protobuf-2.4.1 was the problem as python's 'from x.y.z import ma'am did not
like dots embedded in a directory name.
I found a combination that produced a _pb2.py file. After that I found it
easier to use the default directory structure by moving the example scripts
and pb2 to the python directory immediately under my
\protobuf\protobuf-2.4.1. This let all the various import statements wok
properly as their heirarchy starting with google.protobuf fell nicely under
I also had to put descriptor_pb2.py created by setup.py (that at least
worked when all the other stuff I was trying didn't ) in that same python
directory. At that point the examples ran!
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Protocol Buffers" group.
To post to this group, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group at