Hmm.  I can't "use DescriptorProto to create the message" -- I have no idea
what kind of message I'll need to create until runtime.

In my application, one or more plaintext .proto definition files are loaded
at runtime, and I need to generate messages based on the types in those
files.  (If it helps, think of the .proto definition file as the PB
equivalent of a WSDL file.  At runtime, I'll fetch the .proto definition
from a server and give the user a UI that allows them to interact with
whatever services are defined there.)

Is there a way to extract the types from .proto definition files at runtime
(without invoking protoc)?  I assume that I'd need some kind of .proto file
lexical parser, but I don't see one in the Java source.

Mick