It is a pain that it is so hard to set up a "Custom Tool" in VS; I do have a
custom tool working for protobuf-net, but it is annoying to have to install
it manually (there's a download on the protobuf-net site). I pinged the
nuget team to see if we can get something easier, but no hope there, for now
at least. protobuf-net does *not* generate the same code as Jon's version,
but it may serve you purposes. Of course, in either case using the
command-line-tool manually or as part of a basic build script is pretty
workable too.

Marc

On 5 September 2011 16:13, lasse <l...@schouw.me> wrote:

> How can I setup automatic build of .proto files in Visual Studio 2010?
>
> I can see that protobuf-csharp-port does it but I have problems
> finding where is set in the VS2010 GUI.
> When I look in the Common.targets file I can find this:
>
>  <Target Name="_GenerateSource">
>    <Exec Command="$(ProtocExePath) --proto_path=$(ProtosDirectory) --
> descriptor_set_out=compiled.pb @(Protos->'%(RelativeDir)%(Filename)%
> (Extension)', ' ')" WorkingDirectory="$(BuildTempDirectory)" />
>    <Exec Command="$(ProtogenExePath) compiled.pb" WorkingDirectory="$
> (BuildTempDirectory)" />
>  </Target>
>
> but where is it used?
>
> source:  http://code.google.com/p/protobuf-csharp-port/