Dale:

I'm glad to be of help.  You're definitely over thinking the problem.

File descriptor set- a protobuf describing one put more proto files.
Contains file descriptor proto (s)

File descriptor proto- a protobuf describing a Single proto file

File descriptor-a java class containing the descriptor information for
a proto file in a format usable by the dynamic message class and for
other "reflection" over a proto message.  These can be created by
getting them from a compiled proto "root"class or built at run time
from a file descriptor proto (how you're getting them).

Descriptor- a Java class that provides descriptor information for a
particular message type that can be serialized or parsed.  You get
these from a file descriptor.

Dynamic message is a class provided to build and parse messages for
which you have no compiled Java proto   you must provide a descriptor
to parse messages but not for serialization.

You should not need to parse from text unless the messages are passed
as proto strings which would be an awful waste of bandwidth and
performance.

i'm not in front of a computer (on my way home from a vacation) and I
can't recall the exact method signatures but look at the dynamic
message class closer.  There should be a parse our build method that
takes bytes or input stream, a descriptor (for a message type), and
optionally an extension registry.  If you jabber extensions to deal
with let me know and I'll explain that better as It works differently
in Java than in cpp.

:) good luck
Sorry about grammar in places i'm on my phone.... That was a lot to
type using Swype.