I was wondering if someone can clear up a question about the creation
of GeneratedMessage objects in java.

If I create an instance of my object, then call 'parseFrom' on it, and
pass in a ByteString.   I assume this is populating the objects
members.  So If I call parseFrom again, passing in a different
ByteString, will this just overwrite the existing fields?

After this call, is it safe to set the ByteString to null, so that it
can be GC'd at the next available time?