Comment #4 on issue 324 by tom.ritc...@gmail.com: Feature: Add a new primitive type for a DateTime format

If you use a signed 64-bit integer for "milliseconds since the epoch", that gets you to almost 300 million years in the past, and 300 million years in the future. It is fairly likely that I'll be deceased by then, and almost certain I shan't be using protocol buffers in developing software. :-D

I see zero advantage to having the complex data structure. It's inevitable that you will have to convert whatever data structure the Protobuff team comes up with to the format that your own development system is already using, and I've never run into any time or date system that didn't understand "time since the epoch" (even if it's sometimes "seconds since 1970" instead of milliseconds).

I'm already using signed 64-bit ints as times in my protocol buffers simply because it's the "native format" of the cross-platform toolkit I'm using (JUCE) and I personally would not take the time to use any such format.

I "vote" that this bug be marked "Will Not Fix" (not that this is a democracy, but hey).

Happy New Year, btw!