Hi, guys.

I have developed and willing to maintain a Maven Plugin that supports
compilation of protoc files. The next release I'll try to make it
compile .proto without protoc.exe installation. It will download
appropriate version of protoc.exe in a jar from central, unpack it to
temp dir and run from there. Unix version will require installation of
protoc because it is nicely done with package managers.

http://igor-petruk.github.com/protobuf-maven-plugin/

Best regards,
Igor.