One more option i found is in following link..

http://tinsuke.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/how-to-cross-compiling-libraries-for-ios-armv6armv7i386/

We just need to copy the following file to /protobuf-2.4.1/ folder

http://goo.gl/OuP7f

then give the command in terminal

cd protobuf-2.4.1/
bash build_dependencies.sh

You will get the universal binary in protobuf-2.4.1/outdir folder

Regards,
Dhanaraj