On Apr 4, 2012, at 2:54 PM, Jawaid Hakim <jawaid.ha...@codestreet.com> wrote:

> My group builds applications using use multiple languages, including Java and
> C#, so a simple int64 for date representation does not work.

That there isn't a simple way to do it is a pretty nasty strike against having
a standard implementation.

I'm surprised though that int64 wouldn't suffice. Any language that supports
more than a couple popular OS platforms is going to need have some logic
somewhere for moving back and forth between whatever its preferred date/time
objects and something that looks an awful lot like an int64, and usually it's
easily available.

So far I've done this with C++ (using boost's date time objects), Java, C#,
Python, JavaScript, and I think Perl once too; it hasn't needed more than a few
lines of code for any of them (which is really saying something in the case of
Java). Have I unwittingly made a bug, or do your complications come from a
different scope?