Hi!

I am using google protocol buffers in C++ with memcached and I am using the memcached_append command to edit lists. I would like to know what happens if I append an item, which is not a repeated field.

My message objects look like this:
message List {
  optional bool iscomplete = 1;
  repeated ListItem item = 2;
}
message ListItem {
  required string key = 1;
}

I create the message with the following functions (pseudocode and omitting many details):
createList():
  List list
  list.add_item(NULL)
  list.set_iscomplete = False

  memcached_set(list)

addKey(key):
  List list
  list.add_item(ListItem('key'))

  memcached_append(list)

endList():
  List list
  list.set_iscomplete = True

  memcached_append(list)

These are used like:
createList()
addKey("1")
addKey("2")
(...)
endList()

What will be the value of iscomplete in the end?
And is this clearly defined behavior?

Thank you very much for any hints!

Cheers
Martin

--
Martin Hellmich                    Information Technology Department
mhell...@cern.ch                                                CERN