I've been searching for information about protocol buffers and security or
hardening and cannot seem to find anything. Assuming I have an appropriate
container protocol and have what purports to be a protocol buffer
structure, can I safely decode it? Has the protocol been designed to
withstand maliciously-constructed data and does the implementation protect
against that? I cannot find any documentation suggesting that protocol
buffers are safe to use between applications that do not trust each other.
Is the protocol buffers implementation safe from things like buffer
overflow and memory exhaustion attacks? (The encapsulation protocol
protects against overly-long objects, but that's about all it can do.)

JK